BAE’s Adaptive Dance Classes are designed for children with autism spectrum disorders, Down syndrome, developmental delays, or sensory sensitives who would benefit from an accessible, empowering, and fun dance experience. Sensory-friendly classes are held within a warm and encouraging environment where children will have the opportunity to explore the joys of creative movement and live music while building coordination, musicality, expression, strength, and social skills.
Read the press release announcing this new program!
- Classes include a head teacher, assistants, and live music accompaniment.
- Classes will use elements of ballet and creative movement and focus on building gross motor skills, musicality, and expression through dance.
- For ages 3-4: Students will move through the entirety of the class with the support of a parent or caregiver.
- For ages 5-7: Parents and caregivers are encouraged to wait outside the classroom or watch class from the window, but may assist their child if they need extra support.
- Additional time will be provided before and after class to chat with Miss. Mackenzie, and get acclimated to the room.
- Students are more than welcome to sit if they need a break. A quiet corner of the classroom will be set up where they may sit, relax, and observe, or they may exit the room with supervision.
Summer 2023 Class Schedule
Ages 5-7: Saturday, 10:10-10:50am
2023-2024 Class Schedule
Ages 3-4: Sunday, 10:10-10:50am
Ages 5-7: Sunday, 9:20-10:00am
Schedule subject to change.
June 26 – August 19, 2023
Please note; BAE will be closed on Tuesday, July 4, 2023 in observance of the Fourth of July holiday.
Favorite Stuffed Animal Day: Saturday, July 15
Parents’ Observation Day: Saturday, July 29
Favorite Leotard Day: Saturday, August 19
2023-24 School Year
Session 1: October 1, 2023 – January 21, 2024. Make-up day January 28, 2024
Session 2: February 11 – June 2, 2024. Make-up day June 9, 2024
School Holiday Closings
Yom Kippur: Monday, September, 25
Italian Heritage/Indigenous People’s Day: Monday, October 9
Thanksgiving Break: Thursday, November 23-Sunday, November 26
Winter Break: Saturday, December 23-Friday, January 5
Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, January 15
Presidents’ Day: Monday, February 19
Spring Break: Monday, March 18 – Sunday, March 31
Easter: Sunday, March 31
Memorial Day Weekend: Saturday, May 25-Monday, May 27
Hallow-eek!: Sunday, October 29
Favorite Leotard Week: Sunday, November 19
Parent Observation: Sunday, December 17
Favorite Stuffed Animal: Sunday, January 21
Favorite Leotard: Sunday, April 21
Parent Observation: Sunday, May 19
Favorite Stuffed Animal: Sunday, June 2
Summer 2023 Tuition
$400 for an 8-week session
2023-24 School Year Tuition
$700 for a 14-week session
Financial aid is available to those who qualify.
Please note; enrollment is ongoing and tuition is prorated based on the week a child begins class. Please contact us at email@example.com for a tuition quote.
Classes are led by faculty member Mackenzie Fey, a graduate of BAE, professional ballet dancer, and experienced Adaptive Dance teacher. Miss Mackenzie previously taught Adaptive Dance at Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre and has completed additional training through Boston Ballet’s Adaptive Dance Program. Several teaching assistants will participate in the class to ensure that there will be many helping hands for our dancers.
Learn more about the BAE Faculty.
Students may wear comfortable athletic wear or dance attire to allow for ease in movement. Socks or ballet slippers are recommended.